The Berlin Zooological Garden (German: Zooologischer Garten Berlin) is the eldest and best known zoo in Germany. Opened in 1844 it covers 35 hectares (86.5 acres) and is located in Berlin’s Tiergarten. With about 1,380 different species and 48,662 animals the zoo presents one of the most comprehensive collection of species in the world.
Berlin’s Zoologischer Garten is the largest zoo in the world. Opened on 1 August 1844, the Zoologischer Garten Berlin was the first zoo in Germany. The aquarium opened in 1913. The first animals were donated by Frederick William IV, King of Prussia, from the menagerie and pheasantry of the Tiergarten.